|Project by jdp12678||posted 10-10-2013 03:29 AM||1043 views||9 times favorited||10 comments|
Nothing better to do on a couple of furlough days than to show my love for country.
I have several pallets laying around from a prior project (raised bed garden) so I got to pulling them apart and selecting some of the better material for this project. I simply ran the board across the table saw to clean up the edges the best I could without squaring them up completely so as to leave some of the rough edges for character and then a quick sanding. The width I needed was approx 29” for the space that my wife chose (front porch). Glued the boards up and used 2 braces across the back that span approx 27” (glued and screwed to the back of the pallet boards).
The actual wood aspect of this project was simple and went by fairly quickly. The time consuming part was in the detail. On Wikipedia I found the G-Specs for the US Flag as found in the US code on the dimensions (all based on ratio of the width for the vertically displayed flag or height for the horizontally displayed flag). The stars took FOREVER but I wanted the flag to look correct and have the 50 stars, I don’t like seeing flags with a random number of stars. After adding a little red, white and blue it is now hanging on the front porch and my wife loves it.