|Project by RobS||posted 07-31-2008 04:54 PM||2671 views||1 time favorited||26 comments|
Old broken rocking chair + piece of maple from cabinet shop dumpster + piece of leftover ½ inch ply + a little sweat = waste basket.
I’ve had these oak rockers at my house for over 10 years; they’ve been outside the whole time, stripped down and treated a couple different times. Well the elements finally claimed one of them and a few months ago I took it aside and broke it down, if anything just to fit it into the trash can or fire pit easier. Well there it sat until the summer awards popped up, “one man’s trash” – hmm – does it matter if it’s this same man’s trash, I think not.
I noticed that even though the seat slats were of slightly varying lengths, they all, at some point along their length, had the same curvature. I lined up all the curves and cut all 10 to length. Determining the base needed to be about 6 ½ inches in diameter to allow the top of the slats to splay out, I cut the circle out of the cabinet shop outcast.
I then decided to go with plywood for the top ring to hold it all together; at just over an inch wide, I figured a ring of regular grained wood would have snapped under the slightest of pressure, the plywood proved to hold true. I was planning on nailing the top of the slats to the plywood but with my accurate measuring, exact cutting techniques (LOL), the snugness of the fit and the inward pressure applied by the slats, it all seams to hold itself together. After all, I did have to persuade the ring down onto the slats just a little, ha! The screws at the bottom aren’t new either; they are leftover from some other homestead task. Teak oil finished it off.
Here’s a picture of the other rocker so you can see the starting point.
I can’t wait for this one to retire as a rocker and become my next victim, er.. uh… I mean project.
Thanks for looking!
-- Rob (A) Waxahachie,TX