|Project by AngieO||posted 10-06-2013 11:38 PM||1628 views||2 times favorited||24 comments|
So I made another toddler table and chair. I wasn’t really happy with the painted top on the other one. I was really pleased with the way this one turned out. I cut down some 2×4’s into 2×2’s for the legs. Had some 1×3’s for the stretchers and a 1×12 joined with the Kreg jig for the top.
I assembled the frame of the table and then realized I forgot to add the pocket holes for the top. It was super easy to add them even after this was assembled.
I ran into a little issue when I was putting together the top. I had this same issue with the other table top as well. I glued this up and clamped it and then used the Kreg jig and screwed it together. I also used the Kreg jig to attach the top. So when I flipped it back over the table was not even. It was a small difference but I used my trim plane and sander to smooth it out. I’m assuming this was the reason for the slight variation in the stain on the top. But I still like the way it turned out.
So… as you can see I did my staining outside on my ever so awesome pallet bench. I did the bottom and then left it outside and ran some errands while it dried. When I cam back… it was bowed/cupped. I was so upset. I hoped that when I attached it to the frame that it would help. So I stained the top and let it dry. When I came back it was back to being flat. Weird. So I attached it and it looked great. I was really pleased with it. I like it much better than my last one.
So… I had an opportunity to put some pieces in an Artisan Mall in our downtown historic district. So I put this table and some others in the booth. It’s kinda empty right now but here’s a pic of it so far. I just got it set up last week. I haven’t been down there to check how it did over the weekend but I got a call saying that this table and the toddler chair I made for it sold and the buyer requested another chair. So I’m working on that. How exciting!!! My first sale to someone that doesn’t know me. I also sold the doll bunkbed thats in this pic and I have an order for another one for Christmas. The doll table and chair has also been sold. YEAH! Got to get more things made now.
And of course… I finished it with Arm-R-Seal. Love that stuff. The stain was Minwax. But I used Charles Neil blotch control and it came out good.