|Project by Elizabeth||posted 10-05-2013 11:59 PM||2766 views||2 times favorited||15 comments|
As discussed in a recent thread, I needed to find a way to safely drill holes in rubber balls to put on the end of a child’s drumsticks. After receiving lots of suggestions from my fellow Jocks, I ended up a) freezing the balls and b) making a rubber ball sandwich. The freezing (chest freezer for a few days) didn’t actually get them very cold/solid particularly, but it kept the outside of the ball from getting damaged by being held in the jig. There was no difference in drilling the frozen vs unfrozen ball.
Here’s the jig – two scrap pieces from a bed project a couple years back, two leftover bolts from a swing set, and a bunch of drilled holes. I didn’t even need the wingnuts I found to put on the end of the bolts – they aligned everything without needing to be fixed in place and it made disassembly easier too. The larger holes were drilled with a forstner bit. I recommend slightly rounding the edges of the holes that hold the ball, as they damaged the unfrozen ball slightly.
Final steps were to superglue the dowel end into the hole and apply two coats of Plasti-Dip which was in stock at Harbor Freight.
One of the bolts is slightly loose in the jig because I didn’t get the larger hole quite centered and had to do another one, so the press fit didn’t quite work out. If it bugs me I can always epoxy the bolt head into place.