|Project by jack1||posted 10-04-2013 07:19 PM||1146 views||1 time favorited||13 comments|
We finally got around to replacing a 12 year old TV with a flat screen and, decided the old bookcase that was holding it needed to go. It was here when we moved in and it’s the length of a Buick. We gave them both to a charity auction.
I really like red oak and have done a lot of projects with it over the years. It’s nice to work and has just enough bend to overcome slight flaws. It’s also readily available in various widths at the local Home Depots.
I use Min-Wax’s natural stain and their paste wax for final finishing done by hand. That’s where the color really comes out. It’s not only an easy finish to apply, but it has a fairly low odor and is easy to repair in the future.
The construction pieces were edge glued 1×12’s, 1×10’s or 1×8’s for top, bottom, back vertical dividers and shelves. I assembled the case with the Kreg Pocket Screw system which is hard to beat for a strong assembly. I used no glue in the joints held by the pocket screws as they are sturdy enough to hold everything together.
It’s a design my wife Betty and I came up with. I did the original drawings which had sides, and when she looked at it she said I should leave off the sides to open it up to the room. Seems to do the trick.
The unit is just 47” long by 31” tall and 15 1/2” wide. The center shelves are just under 22”wide and the side shelves are 10 1/2” wide.
Betty insisted on the pedestal which is 2” high. This was a great idea because it keeps the bottom off the carpet for vacuuming and keeps the unit firmly in place.
-- jack -- ...measure once, curse twice!