|Project by HuckD||posted 10-04-2013 12:27 AM||4300 views||35 times favorited||21 comments|
I’ve used a Ridgid Oscillating Belt & Spindle Sander (4424) for years. I’m actually on my second one now. I have a 4” line from my Oneida dust collection system attached to it. It helps tremendously, but doesn’t get all the dust. While vacuuming dust off of it again this week I thought there must be a better way. Well, this afternoon I made a little shroud that, while not perfect, certainly is an improvement.
Description of pictures:
1. The completed shroud. The left side is clean! There’s a little on the right end still. I’ll have to think about that. This is from sanding a 45 degree angle on the end of a pine 2×2.
2. The base of the shroud. It bolts into the same hole as the little metal support that comes with the sander. There’s nothing fancy here. I just cut and taped paper until I had a suitable plan, then cut it from 1/2” plywood on the band-saw.
3. Then 4 more pieces of the plywood were cut for the vertical walls. They were glued on with simple butt joints. This should be fine as there’s no stress on this thing. Note that the miter ends on these pieces were created by sanding them at an angle – something this tool excels at. I hate taking my table saw off of 90 degrees.
4. Next the top was cut. The outside was just traced around the vertical pieces. the inside curve was made by using the orange filler piece that’s installed when using the spindle sander.
5. Another view of the completed shroud.
6. I thought I’d show where the dust used to accumulate on the left end of the belt. This was just from sanding the bevels of the 4 pieces.
This probably won’t work very well for spindle sanding. I have an idea for another shroud that may help with that…we’ll see. However, since most of my use of the sander is with the belt on I think this is going to be a big help.
As always, questions, comments and constructive criticism is always welcome.
-- Visit my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFZY9FU6f7lo2tUgJOnqCzBV3qxJzAVDA