|Project by Melman||posted 10-03-2013 01:42 AM||1003 views||0 times favorited||10 comments|
I have finished my first cutting board, so I am asking to officially join “the club”. I learned two very valuable lessons on this project. First, I used three different woods (cherry, maple and alder), but I didn’t realize that the maple and cherry did not have as big a contrast as I had hoped. In raw form, you can tell the difference, but not after I finished it. As a side note, I sanded 150, 220 and 400, then finished with three coats of mineral oil and two coats of mineral oil and beeswax.
Second, upon glue up, I had enough pressure on all four sides, but I did not have any pressure on top. As a result, the board bowed up a little during glue up. I tried sanding with 80 grit, but I couldn’t easily get it even. So, against the advice of many LJ’s, I ran it through the planer. This worked, with the exception of some chip out on the ends. I thought about nipping the ends off with my chop saw, but I was content that this first board was a good learning experience.
I am showing pictures of the finished board, during sanding and at glue up.
Thanks for looking and I know that I’ll do a better job next time.
-- "All good stories cost you blood or money" - Pat Finney