|Project by JoesBetterHalf||posted 09-30-2013 02:11 AM||4041 views||39 times favorited||23 comments|
I have thought about making an argyle pattern cutting board for a few months now and finally broke down and made it.
I made a few initial drawings using graph paper to get a rough idea of how I would put it together.
I started by cutting 1 1/2” strips of cherry and walnut. I then cut those strips into 1 1/2” squares. I did a rough arrangement of the initial pattern (squares only). There were to be 2 full squares (2 pieces of walnut, and two of cherry each) and 8 pieces made from one walnut squares and two cherry.
Glue-up was difficult. I used rubber bands (gross) to hold the smaller glue-ups together. I used clamps as the piece got larger.
Once the cherry and walnut pieces were glued together, I cut strips of purpleheart which here approximately 1/4” thick. I placed these between the cherry and walnut blocks. Picture #2 is of the purpleheart strips being glued in place.
After those dried I belt sanded the crap out of it using an 80 grit shop smith belt. All those small pieces made for a pretty rough surface. After achieving a somewhat smooth surface, I cut the pointy ends off the sides to make a nice strip with just the argyle pattern.
After that, basic cutting board stuff… Glued on a couple thin strips of purpleheart and thicker strips of walnut, sanded, routed, sanded some more, and then finished with Mineral Oil and Howard’s Butcher Block Conditioner.
Next time I will take pictures along the way so that I can do a tutorial.