|Project by GeneR||posted 09-28-2013 07:58 PM||1568 views||3 times favorited||3 comments|
First off this was a project I had hoped never to have to do in my life. It is the case that will hold the flag that draped the coffin of a long time friend and boss but more friend then boss and a former Marine and vietnam Vet.
It is made from Birddseye maple that i hand selected from the midle of a rough cut 10’ x 9” 4/4 board. IThe corner keys are made from some thin paduk that my neighbor hadd left over from a project. started by cutting the pieces to length then using the jointer to get a smooth side. I then ran the pieces over the tablesaw to get the desired thickness off 3 1/4”. I then ran this through the planer til we were at a 3/4” thicknes on all pieces.
Ithen chose the interior bevel profile as a roman ogee to meet the glass.in front. Next i usedd a rabbeting bit on the router table to cut a 1/4” groove for the back panel. Now it was back to the table saw to cut the groove for the. 095mm plexiglass.
Once all the grooves and profiles were done I usedd the mitersaw to cut the 45s for the top, then it got tricky. Back to the table saw to cut the 67.5 degree angles for the bottom corners. I basically used a tall fence and clamped the board to it and slid the tall fence along the saw fence.
Sanding was fairly simple after the test fit and i finished the inside before assembly as well as the routed front profile to prevent anything getting on the plexiglass. During asse:-)mbly unless you make an assembly jig just for this you will need to pin nail the sections glue alone will not work (experience andd frustration talking).
Also cut and fit your plexiglass in before gluing this up (if I had decided to use glass i would have made this with a fold open front in case the glass broke. My friend had a handicap daughter so i decided on plexi just in case she got it and broke it she would not get cut) the plexi I used my bandsaw to cut just ran itthrough real slow to the outside of my mark the sanded it smooth.
Once assembly was done i put it in a jig i have andd cut the slots for the corner keys that are paduk and glued them in andd let it sit overnight. When the glue dried i sanded the exterior and finished it. Once the finishing and waxing was done i made a back out of the same luan ply that I made the coffin case out of finished it and put it on then removed all plastic from the plexiglassnand she was done.
My finish was 3 coats of danish oil, 2 coats of shellac to seal it, 4 coats of laquer andd then sanded with, #0000 steel wool dipped in clear wax to polish the piece.
As nice as this came out I truely hope that I never have to build another.
-- Failure is always an option. :-)