|Project by jaysonic||posted 09-28-2013 07:24 PM||1344 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
I call this my viking table.
So, although my table isn’t “finished,” per se, it’s as finished as I can get it right now. I am about to get shipped out for depot (RCMP) for 6 months in Regina, and I need my legs to finish ‘checking’ before I cut to final dimensions and then finish them.
So, my finished table top is 46 1/2” wide (those were what six boards came to) x 96” long x 2 1/4” thick. I really wanted to make the table 10’ long, but the wifey said no :( The top is close to 300lbs.
Each leg is 27 1/4” tall, and right now 16” wide, on each side. Once they finished their drying, the finished widths will be 15”. Each leg is close to 200lbs.
Really cool: the wood is reclaimed. It came from a demolition of a building in the downtown area that I live. This wood is the only building in the whole city that survived not one, but two chinatown fires (1930 and 1960). The building was originally constructed in 1900, which means, since the grains are so tight, that this wood is really really old. I’m looking for a picture of the original building, which I’ll blow up, frame, and put on a wall beside the table.
So here’’s the wood before I even got started.
I glued 1/2” dowels, 3” deep, into each side on every board, spaced 12” apart, and initially starting 2” from table end.
Here’s the glue up, all 10 1/2 ” feet of glorious table top (that I had to cut down to 8’).
I needed a BEAST of a router for this job. The wood was so hard, I struggled!!!! to get the old stamped sheet nails out. If you’re considering buying a new router, seriously consider this baby. Next picture shows the power.
Straight through a nail, I didn’t even notice. I didn’t notice until I looked at the top later.
Here’s a picture of one router pass. I struggled quite a bit in trying to run these through my planer. I also struggled to joint a side. The table saw bogged down too much. So I looked into Offermans router plane. What a life saver. I goofed up a pass or two, just with making everything level, and fixing the sag on the router plane rail ends (the rails that the router plane boxes sit on – I initially didn’t support the ends, and so my table top ends were cut deeper. BUT, lucky that the top was so thick and I need to take it down anyways!!), oh boy that was frustrating!
These were the legs before I got started. I’ve seen many tables that cut the legs in half and leave the bark on, but I loved the thought of squaring them, and I’m really happy I did.
Here’s a close up of the top. I really really really enjoy the ‘old’ look of tables. I’ve heard of some guys beating their tops with chains to get those looks, but I thought I’d leave some router track marks, and some of the original saw kerf marks from when the wood was cut way back when. So I sanded just enough to let the oil really bring out that character. I finished the top with 2 coats of tung oil, and semi-gloss lacquer. I’m not sure how many coats of lacquer I’ll put, but I can always put more if I want.
Hope you enjoyed looking as much as I enjoyed making this!