|Project by palaswood||posted 09-26-2013 06:31 PM||2650 views||2 times favorited||26 comments|
I have needed a vise on my bench for so long. When I say so long I mean forever. When I say forever I mean 8 months, when I started working wood in the first place.
My recent attempt at jointing edges without a proper vice (thats some home milled black mulberry btw):
This clamping madness had to stop.
I got this Irwin 6 1/2 in woodworking vise on Amazon 4 months ago for sixteen bucks – so for the money, can’t go wrong. Being an impatient procrastinator is not conducive to getting projects completed, and not at them being very well executed anyway. I generally put it off, and put if off until I get fed up and then just rush through it to get it over with.
Such is as with this vise install. I glued up a couple pieces of scrap pine to make a block to beef up the corner of the bench where the vise would go. I clamped it and waited overnight. In the morning I had a nice solid block which would work perfectly, so I proceeded to do nothing else with it for about 2 months. I’m tellin you, I’m the worst.
Then one day I pick it back up and chisel out the recesses in the block so my jaw will fit all snuggly in.
Also sawed and chiseled out a place for the vise mechanism into my bench (and not very well). Then let 2 more months pass. Seriously, I have a problem folks.
So now I wanna cut some dovetails. So now I wanna joint some edges with my brand spanking old Stanley #6C (new to me). So I need a vise. Damn. Why didnt I install this sooner….
So the jaw fits after some fine tuning with the chisel and now I have to figure out how to mount it to my bench. This bench was made using the Quick and Dirty Glue and Screw method so lets keep that going why don’t we.
Planed flat the block and where the bench will contact the block in preparation for glue up.
Lined everything up and predrilled some pilot holes for the screws I will be using – lucky me the scrap piece already had a hole in a spot that was fine by me, so I made one more on the other end, then spread Titebond original on both the block and the bench, set it, clamped it semi-tight, screwed it and tightened the clamps.
Wiped up the squeeze out with a damp rag, and let it set for a few hours. I would have let it set overnight, but I am impatient after all.
I mounted the rear jaw with a couple of long wood screws. All in all the whole thing seems pretty damn sturdy if I do say so myself. And I do.
I got two matching scrap boards as softjaws, just some pine, so I could get going, and didn’t even screw them in – I was rushing at this point as it was creeping into the wee hours of the morning
I had to give it a try so I made a Quick and Dirty Marking Gauge out of some scrap pine, which let me use the vise for planing and chiseling.
God this is so much better than just clamping junk down to my bench or trying to do things sideways!
I’m kicking myself for putting this off for so long. With this vise securely attached, I feel like I’ve stepped into a whole new world (don’t you dare close your eyes).
Now for some custom vise jaws – I have some nice maple which needs to be used up, and in about 2 more months I’m sure that installing those jaws will finally come to pass.
-- Joseph, Lake Forest, CA, http://instagram.com/palas_woodcraft#