|Project by JL7||posted 09-24-2013 10:39 PM||1538 views||10 times favorited||18 comments|
This board was done as an experiment to another design I’ve been kicking around in my noggin….I wanted to see how well the diamonds would line up using a new jig I set up…
Bottom line, I need to make a few adjustments, mostly to some of the glue up steps to insure the alignment. Pic 5 shows the mis-alignment….
The board is Soft Maple and Mahogany. I had some nice thin Mahogany around, so that’s how that decision was made…
I’m kind of on the fence about the edge treatment….used a bowl and tray bit to carve through the Mahogany border into the Maple…...appreciate your good or bad comments on that one….
I’ll probably do a blog on the next board I build, but I anticipate someone will ask before that…..so here is a preview of the process:
Built a 60 degree jig for the router table that uses a straight bit, and it will give you nice consistent angles:
Glue the thin strips:
Run them through the planer to true them up:
Mill some “hollow inserts” on the same jig:
Then glue them all together…..this step needs some improvement:
After you cut off the waste and plane them up you get this:
You can take it from there…...it was a good experiment because I learned something…...just can’t remember what it was right now….
Thanks for looking….
-- Jeff - I have not failed. I've just found 10,002 ways that won't work.