|Project by Homebrew||posted 09-23-2013 08:34 PM||17595 views||50 times favorited||14 comments|
This was a fun project, took a little more time than I expected, but turned out nicely. Used maple (hard and soft), mahogany, and some redheart. Finished with a light wiping varnish. I changed a couple things than the original blog provided by Christopher Schwarz.
Obviously the clamps are different. I took these off a few cheap c-clamps, drilled, and then tapped the holes. They are easily removable and didn’t require me to buy a wooden screw thread and tap kit. At some point I’ll cut off the crossbars and turn some wooden handles for them, but for now they work just fine. I would just rather turn them without the bar, it’s easier that way. I also added the clamping bar and the two dowels that pass through the front frame and rest into the bench. I added the clamp bar for a few reasons, it’ll help to protect the work piece surface, it makes clamping much more efficient…just a few turns and I can clamp across the entire opening length, it holds the work piece better, and the bar itself flexes, instead of the front frame flexing, which was happening to mine. The dowels are there to hold the bar in place. These are not glued in and can be removed in a snap.
If I had to change anything, I would beef up the front bar. Mine turned out far to weak for my liking. Maybe a denser wood would have helped. I would probably also use different joinery on the front half, deleting the tenons and dowels. I really think that just bolting all of the laminated pieces together would have been the way to go. It makes much more sense. Finally, I would probably make it a touch bigger. I think 36” x 16” x 1 3/4” would be perfect…..might have to just go and do that.
Thanks for looking!
-- Scott Rieman