|Project by AngieO||posted 09-23-2013 04:23 AM||1345 views||2 times favorited||21 comments|
Been playing out in the shop today. Got a lot accomplished in a short amount of time. Thought I’d share this table. As you may be able to tell from the pics.. it’s about half the height of my workbench… and from the title… it’s a toddler table. I had a lot of fun making this little table. And… a bit of frustration too. LOL
All materials are recycled. And most are free. The legs are from the 2×3’s I picked up at the barge place that is constantly throwing out GREAT lumber. Mostly 2×3’s and 2×4’s. I spread the joy this last week and sent a really great load to a friend that also does some woodworking. Next load… first come first serve… LOL
I just barely planed off a bit off the rough dirty sides. I think maybe 1/16” on both sides… Then I just squared them up on the table saw and sanded them.
I used my Kreg Jig to join them.
The aprons are made from some more free lumber that I picked up. Funny… this place is a sign company so they have some very LARGE and odd shaped pallets for them. And they are located on the opposite corner of the barge place. One trip and I get loaded up. I think they were 1×4’s and I cut them down to 1×3’s and again planed off maybe 1/16” off each side.
I also put pocket holes in the aprons to attach the top. I put three in the short ends and four in the other two. Except… somehow I missed two. And I’m just not sure how. I didn’t even notice it till I was painting the underside. LOL Silly girl!
The top was a ReStore find. I paid $10 for a stack of 1×12 shelves. They are made of plywood and they were all painted white. This is the 3rd project I’ve made with them and I still have lots more. Paid $10 for the lot plus a huge mess of shelf brackets. If you look in the background you can see some white boards laying against the wall in my pile of wood. Those are what’s left. I think there are 3-4 more. Again… 12” boards… maybe 8’ long.
Here is where the frustration came in. I used my Kreg clamp to make sure my boards were flat and screwed in the first two ph screws on the ends. Then I did the middle two. Somehow I managed to get a “dip” from the bottom. So on the top I had to sand… and sand… and then I thought… I have a little tiny plane so I used it (can’t remember what it’s called. It’s late lol). So I wasn’t really happy with that part. I even unscrewed it and added new phs and tried again. Same result. But i got it to work. So you can see in the center where I sanded.
Since the shelves were already white I knew that I was going to paint it. I finished the top off with some primer and then decided to try something. I took the table out to my “sophisticated paint booth” (aka… the pallet behind the shop). I had picked up a can of minwax in a spray can last summer at Michaels on clearance. Stuff was super cheap. So I thought I’d try it out. If I didnt’ like it… who cares… I could paint over it. But I kinda liked how it turned out.
I let that dry and got to painting. I had this can of “red” that I got from the ReStore (gotta love that place). Got it for .50 and it was about half a gallon. Once I got it painted… it looked a bit more like pink. And in the pics it looks even more pink. But it’s not as pink in person as the pics. I like it either way. This table is actually going to be a display table for a booth so I’m pretty happy with it.
It REALLY looks pink in this pic!
And… if you are wondering why there is no sawdust on my floor… here is why….
One was taken Friday and one was taken on Saturday. On Friday he insisted on using ear plugs. He does not like the loud noise. And on Saturday he wore the full gear. He was getting serious that day. And he had a mask on too… he just took it off. He had plenty of sawdust on him. At one time there was more on him than the floor… so he had to clean himself off. LOL He giggled and laughed. LOVED playing with the shop vac.
And if you are wondering about the black all over his face… I make my kids work before they get to bathe… JUST KIDDING!!! Went to a bday part earlier and he had his face painted… this is what’s left of his bat mask. LOL
Thanks for checking out my project. I really enjoyed it. I’m going to make another one soon. This thing was super easy to make. Really quick. Next time I will do a decorative edge around it. And probably not paint it… LOL