|Project by jaykaypur||posted 09-21-2013 06:05 PM||2595 views||5 times favorited||24 comments|
I got this driftwood stump out of a mountain river 1 year ago…by myself. Had to “roll” it on its roots through the stream and then up an incline of about 8’. It sat in front of the shop all that time as I pondered on it and on Sept. 13th, I sawed it in half to make this bench. The bench is supported underneath with a 3” x 3” x 16” piece of angle iron that is counter sunk into each halve and then three 4” lag screws are in each piece of the halves. It is definitely a sturdy piece. The hard part for me was leveling the roots for the legs. I used high-tech redneck ingenuity to accomplish this, of which I have an abundance. I filled some of the worm holes/small cracks with sawdust and CA glue. Some I just left in the wood as they are. It is finished with 1 gallon of Danish oil and then I applied a liquid wax to it to further darken it. The finish turned out a lot better than I had thought it would. The piece measures 60” long and the sanded “bench” measures 44”. It is 17” tall and at it’s widest, it’s foot print is 44”. I would say it weighs about 80 lbs. Thanks for the looks and comments.
-- Use it up, Wear it out --------------- Make it do, Or do without!