|Project by Sandra||posted 309 days ago||1879 views||18 times favorited||34 comments|
One of my favourite quilt blocks is the nine-patch done diagonally. In quilting it’s a great way to use up scraps.
Apparently in woodworking, it’s a great way to make scraps!
Using a piece of graph paper, I drew out what I wanted. Being ‘design’ challenged, getting from the paper to this project was an effort. None of my lengths of wood were any thicker than 3/4” rough , so the individual pieces are 3/4” x 3/4”. Rather than having strips, I made the nine-patch blocks first. I don’t recommend doing it this way, the pia factor was huge.
Wood in the quilt blocks is maple, walnut and birch. The birch had the most variety of shades. The outer border is mahogany.
I routed the juice trough with my Bosch colt handheld router, with an edge guide to which I attached a longer fence.
I routed the handles the same way. The handles started out to be like a bad haircut – the more I tried to get them just right, the bigger the handles got.
Finish is Danish oil. The smaller board was made with the scraps created from the first.
Larger board measures 17 1/2” x 12 1/2” x 2”
Smaller board is 9”x 7 1/2”
I’m pleased with how they turned out and learned a LOT through trial and error.
Thanks for looking
-- No, I don't want to buy the pink hammer.