|Project by ErikF||posted 09-19-2013 12:26 AM||2358 views||4 times favorited||7 comments|
A while back I picked up some rusty tenon saws and decided to clean them up. Since then I have started to become more interested in hand saws so I thought i would try my hand at building one myself.
This saw is built from raw pieces not including the screws and nuts off an old Disston I have. I ordered a 6” x 24” piece of 1095 spring steel shim stock, a 3” x 12” carbon fiber plate at 1/8” thick, and a slit cutter sized to make a .02” cut. I ordered all the materials from McMaster-Carr.
To make the spline i cut the carbon fiber into 1” strips, sanded them, then glued them together using epoxy. Once the epoxy had set up it was time to cut the groove for the saw plate….this part sucked! I tried a few ways to make some type of arbor and drive system for the small blade but it takes a 1” arbor (no tools i own has this). I manged to rig something up on my drill press but it wasn’t steady enough. I ended up fastening the cutter to a board and using the teeth as a scraper to SLOWLY scrape a straight groove along the spline. I used epoxy to fasten the plate into the groove.
The metal was the easy part. I cut the large piece into smaller pieces on my table saw using a metal cutting blade. No saw dust started to smolder when the sparks started flying.
I toothed the plate to 12 PPI using a template from http://www.norsewoodsmith.com/ then filed the teeth by hand. One part that is bothering me right now are the small dents left in the blade by the saw set i was using. It was from being a low quality tool or my inexperience. Probably a combination. I am picking up a Stanley No. 42 tomorrow.
I plan to file the teeth off and tooth it at a higher PPI for a smoother cut.
I learned a lot from the project and plan to make a few more. I consider this to be a troubleshooting project and plan to build a few more out of the same materials.
Thanks for looking.
-- Power to the people.