|Project by BusterBrown||posted 09-18-2013 03:35 AM||4927 views||4 times favorited||11 comments|
My wife wanted a barn wood style ceiling in her studio. There aren’t any old barns nearby so we broke down a punch of pallets and distressed some new fenceposts to create the same effect. The contractors assisting us with that project grossly overestimated the amount of material needed so I have a mini lumberyard of pallet wood. I’ve used it in a few ‘upcylcing’ projects.
The first is small shelf the previous owner left on our porch. The shelves were decomposing MDF covered in tattered vinyl but the frame seemed salvageable. I resurfaced the frame and built new shelves from pallet boards.
The second is a larger MDF shelf originally mounted on a bedroom wall and then banished to the garage. In this case I resurfaced the shelves and clad the ‘carcass’ in pallet boards. I also added a new top made from distressed pine boards. In the end it would have been easier to build a new unit from scratch but you never know how these things are going to turn out when you begin.
The last is a printer cart I build from ‘garbage’ wood. I used a reciprocating saw to cut nails when breaking down the pallets. It’s easy enough to tap the nail heads out of the boards but the cross members are left embedded with the nail shanks. I wondered if I could carefully cut around the nails and use some of these pieces. The answer is ‘yes’ but I don’t think I’ll try it again. Most of the nails are driven in at angles so you really don’t know where they are and I ended up hitting a few of them. Next time I’ll try prying the pallets apart when there’s something good like an oak cross piece I want to work with.