|Project by spike||posted 07-28-2008 09:10 PM||1518 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
i just finished my son’s log bed i’ve been working on for the past few weeks though i have to apply the finish. i used black walnut on the rails and spindles.
to make the bed, i searched the net on building log furniture and combined a few different techniques…in a way. to cut the mortises for the rails to fit into, i made a pattern box out of scrap plywood, guestimated the center points of the log ends, screwed a block of wood on each end to keep it level and centered the logs in the pattern box. i made a pattern from mdf for the mortises and cut them using a top mounted bearing pattern bit with my router. it took more tinkering that blood, sweat and tears, but everything went together like a charm. everything was put together using pockethole screws with pine plugs to give some contrast against the walnut.
i have to apply the finish yet, but he’s enjoying the bed so far.
i’m a virgin to posting any projects so i hope this upload works….
thanks for looking.