|Project by Parsimonia||posted 09-17-2013 12:08 AM||723 views||1 time favorited||7 comments|
I dug a piece of oak out of a rotting pile of firewood, hoping I’d get something solid out of it. It was really rotted – spalted and full of termite holes, so I hacked off most of the rot, and brushed it off well away from the house. The holes were interesting after all, so I roughed it out and put it in a paper bag with the chips for several months. I didn’t think it would hold together, but it dried well. The spalted area seemed to harden up.
After I turned it down to shape, I sanded it down and then dug out dirt and eaten up wood out of the holes with a needle pick.
The bowl won’t hold soup, but it looks interesting. I finished it with several coats of clear satin poly. I gave it to a friend for getting me a pile of wood suitable for turning.
-- More Ideas than Time.