|Project by sras||posted 338 days ago||2925 views||4 times favorited||33 comments|
This a design I created to go with our kitchen chairs. All joints are mortise and tenon (42 in each stool). I intended to post this months ago, but wanted a better camera. My son had his Nikon over today and I remembered to shoot these.
There is a fairly complete blog about the build located here .
The build is an example of tackling a large project with only spare time available. The build covers nearly 3 years. There were several times where the project sat idle while higher priorities were addressed.
This was a first time project for me in several ways:
1. First time using higher quality hardwoods. I have experience with cherry, walnut, oak etc. but the mahogany was more costly and a denser wood.
2. First time using angled mortise and tenons. The number of tenons justified my purchase of a tenoning jig which was a good aid.
3. First time cutting tenons on curved parts. I used a combination of custom jigs and the tenoning jig here.
4. First time with this many curved parts. In the past I have done a little bit of glued laminations, but this time involved quite a bit of this.
5. First time upholstering a seat. I had read about this many times and that background helped a lot.
6. First time building a chair. The final assembly took a lot of thought to get to where I was comfortable.
7. I kept track of the number of hours put into the construction of the stools. I did not include the time for design, prototypes and jigs. (The total was 245+ hours or 41+ per stool)
All in all, I am quite pleased with the result. The stools have been in service for nearly a year and look like new. Here are few more detail pictures:
Again, the blog covers a good deal of the build techniques, design details, jigs, assembly and finish.
Comments and critiques are welcome (as always).
-- Steve - Impatience is Expensive