|Project by Roman Hrytsak||posted 82 days ago||753 views||0 times favorited||15 comments|
Several months ago I had an opportunity to visit a respected furniture maker’s shop just south of our city. The yard and his shop was full of wood in all shapes and sizes. The wood was neatly piled in slabs to ensure adequate drying.
As a furniture maker his wood has to be well seasoned to fit his needs in our climate. After a tour of his facilities he allowed me to take some wood home and I came across a lone piece of log sitting in the middle of his yard. Species unknown! It was bleached by the sun and had a dark inner core so was of interest to me in carving a boot. Splitting the log I found that the wood was decaying badly and the texture ranged from soft to hard. The outer edges of the log had been infested with worms. The coloration varied from a light exterior to a mottled darker interior. Getting this far I cut out a blank for my boot and went at it with a vengeance. The result was an old woodworkers boot!
The final product was sealed and polished with several coats of Claphams wax.
-- Roman:... there are no mistakes, just opportunities for a design change!