|Project by JustJoe||posted 09-14-2013 08:36 PM||1501 views||7 times favorited||9 comments|
I made these two hanging quilt racks on short notice to take to my Mom in Michigan. They are both made out of common black cherry. The small one holds a 40” or shorter quilt. It was wiped with BLO to bring out the figure, then set in the sun for a few hours to darken, and then two coats of satin varnish. The two pegs were turned on the lathe and the bar to hold the quilts has two holes to slide over the two pegs.
The larger one holds an 80” quilt. It was wiped in BLO to bring out the figure, but didn’t get to sit in the sun as long because of the weather and the time, so it isn’t as dark. Topcoat is wipe-on poly, about four coats. I like the satin look of the poly better than the varnish (the satin varnish looks closer to high-gloss, I think.) and it was much easier to apply without blemishes. (rag on, wipe off, wait 2 hours, reapply until satisfied.) The final coats were applied once I got to MI, that’s a pic of it in their garage as I work on it.
The first one just has three screws behind the bar that hold it to the wall. For the long one, I routed a 5/8D x 1”H x 60”L stopped groove in the back, and then used a dovetail bit to put an angle on the top edge. Then I made a couple of cleats 7/8”H x 20” long with a corresponding angle cut on the one edge. Those got screwed to the wall studs, and then the quilt-rack drops into place. That way it’s on solidly (big quilts do get heavy.) and it can be slid left-right a bit to position it evenly on the wall. It’s installed now – that was an adventure in itself (blog to follow within 48 hours entitled “Worst Workshop Ever” – stay tuned!) The quilt-bar slides into rectangle slots on the end-pieces.
-- This Ad Space For Sale! Your Ad Here! Reach a targeted audience! Affordable Rates, easy financing! Contact an ad represenative today at JustJoe's Advertising Consortium.