|Project by ytsejamr||posted 07-28-2008 04:58 PM||10514 views||128 times favorited||39 comments|
Let me start this out by saying I am fully aware that this thing is overkill. I wanted to make a crosscut sled that I would be proud of and last a long time. I had a couple leftover walnut boards from my columns that I ended up using:
I used some cheap Borg plywood, Kreg T-track, and the Kreg runners. I really like the runners. The sled is about the size of my table saw top. The maple pieces were scrap also.
I had the bright idea of embedding a tape rule near the fence and then covering it with poly. It didn’t quite turn out like I had expected. I routed a shallow channel for the tape, put it down, taped it off and poured poly in. In hindsight, I should have used epoxy. I also had some issues with the top. I was playing with tinted shellac. I didn’t put it down very evenly on the base, so I tried sanding it off. Well, when I did that I sanded through to the tape in a couple spots. The tint really got into the grain of the plywood, and if I sanded any further I would have been through. So the top doesn’t look all that great, but it’s still functional.
I added a lexan blade guard. It’s screwed in, so I can remove if I need to.
All in all, I’m pretty happy with it. It’s a little heavy . . . but I can handle it. :-)
I ended up using the 5-cut method to fine tune the fence just a bit. It’s been solid ever since.