|Project by Doe||posted 318 days ago||2290 views||10 times favorited||16 comments|
I’d like to start making boxes and I have some nice veneer I’d like to use. I bought the Lee Valley Press Screw and sort of followed their picture. Since measuring is a challenge for me, I was a tad worried that I might mess it up, but it worked much better than expected.
I cut a melamine shelf in half, using tape to keep the melamine from chipping off, then cut a piece of 2×4 a little bit longer than the melamine. The piece was used to set a stop so the second was exactly the same size. I used 2 pieces of 2×4 to mark where to cut the shorter base bits. The cross piece was 2 inches longer than the first base piece so I could do the dados, and the uprights were half of what I had left over from the 2×4.
I did my first dados using the table saw. Whoo hoo! I also used a chisel for the first time to clean up the dados. A word to those who are short: don’t wear a loose short sleeve t-shirt when doing dados on the table saw. I used to be 5 foot 2 and 3/4 but I’m getting shorter as I’m getting older and the darn chips were flying up my sleeve into my armpit. Not pleasant.
I was a little off on the clamping (again!) so the left side stuck out a little but I don’t mind. I also learned from my husband not to use two screws along the grain line because it might split even though I drilled pilot holes, so I staggered them. I planned for 5 screws in a dice shape (nice and symmetrical) for the uprights. I kept thinking about my father in law who used to do stuff and say “that’ll never move!” but then thought five was just a bit excessive. I changed it to 3 in a most annoying non-pattern to avoid the same grain lines.
It worked great! I also learned that you don’t need quite as much glue as I used. Actually, a lot less than I used.
Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome. I used to be a perfectionist but I don’t have the skill for that. . . yet. Thanks for looking.
-- Mother Nature talks, I try to listen