|Project by BarbS||posted 09-11-2013 07:23 PM||2048 views||14 times favorited||19 comments|
This is my attempt to try Andy’s Art Deco Winged Box he so generously gave us a Tutorial on. Thanks, Andy!
Mine is Walnut, 12”x4”x3”, with the lid framed for an unusual Birds-Eye Walnut top that is rather showy. I didn’t curve the top cut, as I wanted that wood to be the first impression. I used butt joints, and thought I was oh-so-smart to rabbet the edges of the end pieces to overlap the end grain of the side pieces to make it look a bit more finished, but it caused me headaches with the top hinged lids because that overlap extended 1/8” out beyond the ends of the box, and I had a heckuva time fitting the lids to swing past that little extra depth. If you make one, I’d advise against doing this. #@%&*#!!
All comments are always welcome. My first tea box. I may have had all I want of this design, as it took me Much too long to fit everything, but I’ll be making more tea boxes. This is the first flat work I’ve done in over three years, and as I dealt with the problems I’d made for myself, I kept wanting to go back to turning! Which I may do for a while.