LumberJocks

Blanket chest

  • Advertise with us
Project by TCrossan posted 345 days ago 831 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I made this Curly and straight maple blanket chest for my middle grandaughter a few years ago.
I hand cut the dovetails and used a finishing technique i learned form glen Huey @ Poular
Woodworking uses dye, boliled linseed oil and dull hand rubbed effect laquer.
I was pleased with the outcome.

-- Jn. 14:6





7 comments so far

View HillbillyShooter's profile

HillbillyShooter

4492 posts in 919 days


#1 posted 345 days ago

Very nicely done—your third picture really show your success in popping that tiger maple! Do your remember what type of dye you used?

-- John C. -- "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." George Washington

View hoss12992's profile

hoss12992

2571 posts in 519 days


#2 posted 345 days ago

Great job and love the finish. Welcome to LJ’s

-- The Old Rednek Workshop https://www.facebook.com/theoldrednekworkshoptn

View david38's profile

david38

1058 posts in 970 days


#3 posted 345 days ago

nice job

View Don W's profile

Don W

14837 posts in 1194 days


#4 posted 345 days ago

very nice.

-- Master hand plane hoarder. - http://timetestedtools.com

View Oldtool's profile

Oldtool

1777 posts in 817 days


#5 posted 345 days ago

Super nice build, great looking dovetails. Finish came out great too. I’m sure this will be cherished for a long long time.

-- "I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The point is to bring them the real facts." - Abraham Lincoln

View OldMike1945's profile

OldMike1945

29 posts in 386 days


#6 posted 345 days ago

Again, you did a great job. Nice.

-- So much wood, so little time.

View TCrossan's profile

TCrossan

35 posts in 347 days


#7 posted 344 days ago

Thanks for the positive feedback. Really glad no one has said it looked like a third grader made it! :-)

HillbillyShooter, and Hoss12992,
It was TransTint and I blended several colors together to get it as close is I could to the rest of my grand daughters bedroom furniture. I mixed it in water and sprayed it on. After it dried I LIGHTLY sanded it with 220 just to remove the few strands of wood fibers that the water raised and then slathered on boiled linseed oil. Let that sit for a few hours and wiped off the excess and then let it dry for a few days. Then a coat or two of shellac sprayed on then 4 coats of lacquer.

Thanks again for the kudos!

-- Jn. 14:6

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase