|Project by Acelectric||posted 09-11-2013 01:52 AM||4028 views||16 times favorited||10 comments|
This past weekend I took a woodturning class in which we made a complete chess set in 2 days. The knights were carved on the lathe using a sanding disk. I decided I needed one to put on my lathe, so I made 2. As I only had 1 faceplate I integrated one into the sanding disk.
I cut a 2 1/2” disk out of some 5/4 maple I had. Mounted it onto my faceplate and turned it true and faced it off. Then I drilled an 11/16” hole through the blank. I removed the blank from the lathe and ran a tap through the faceplate and into the blank. This made sure the tap was lined up correctly with the blank so the threads would be straight.
After cutting threads into the blank I removed the faceplate and mounted it onto the lathe. I turned it true and faced it off. I used a little CA glue inside the threaded hole to give the threads a little more strength. Once it was cleaned I removed a little extra material and moved on to the plate.
I cut the plate out of some scrap cypress I had laying around. Marked it using a piece of the sandpaper I am using and cut it out on the bandsaw. Glued it onto the faceplate I made and turned it true and faced it off. Chamfered the backside and mounted a piece of sandpaper.
It works well and is a lot cheaper than buying a disk sander. I hope you like it.
-- Thank goodness I don’t do this for a living, because I would surely starve.