|Project by robscastle||posted 09-09-2013 06:21 AM||640 views||0 times favorited||5 comments|
When I bought my house I was single and the kitchen is a real bachelors size.
After we were married lots of ideas regarding increasing its size were bandied about all requiring too much work so we decided to “just live with it”
On Sunday I thought I would “help out” doing stuff in the Kitchen whilst Aurora was having a snooze .
Bad idea, bad…bad.. bad.. she was most annoyed at my attempts to help so not that it needed signposting as everybody knew not to fool about in her kitchen, well almost everybody except those with a death wish!
In an attempt to redeem myself I had a surprise in the garage that Degoose and I did some weeks ago.
It was a laser cut contrasting veneer sign “Aurora’s Kitchen” so today I decided I would like to eat again so I set to work in earnest.
A fairly basic job: Glue the backing veneer to a base of hardwood and glue in the contrasting letters.
For this I used Titebond II for its tackiness properties, the backing veneer is poplar the letters are Kauri and the base possibly a stringy bark gum variety.
I had to improvise with a press as I could not get them to fit in my Roarocket Vac bag so I used a few garden tiles and a pieces of thin foam to ensure a complete pressing.
I had a piece of Silky Oak so I cut it in half in the table saw and then rebated an edge and rounded over to opposite sides to make the frame
Sanded everything from 100 to 400 Grit and then glued the frame together.
Once it was dry I used a damp cloth to raise the grain up on the frame and insert and then re sanded to 400 grit again once it was dry.
Dusted everything off with compressed air and applied a coat of high gloss polyurethane finish.
I would normally finish it with an preserving oil but as it was going in the kitchen thought it best seal it from the vapours produced when cooking.
A couple of SS screw hooks hold it up.
Aurora will be chuffed! but possible won’t say anything apart from reminding me of my stupidity!!
I could not close off without recognising the Art work done by Degoose and his laser machine, and all at nil cost as we did some reciprocal work in his kitchen whilst I was there, amazing gear to see working!
A closing note, I somehow managed to lose the hyphen, (make that an apostrophe!) from ”Aurora’s” and had to make another, it possibly took me longer to do just one character than the time Larry took after he hit the start button for the entire cut!
Thanks again Larry!
-- Regards Robert