|Project by GeneR||posted 09-08-2013 09:47 PM||2806 views||14 times favorited||18 comments|
Sorry it took so long to get this online but my tablet crashed as I was almost done with the posting. GRRRRRR.
This is something I created out of necessity and the fact it was super cool.
This case took over a month to build working on it a little at a time but still would not have been a weekend project. I first had to make a jig to be able to cut the top and bottom faces as well as aid in the assembly process. It took the better part of a day to figure out and build the jig.
The case is made out of Luan 1/4” plywood and the shape was made using a trim router and the jig as the template. The jig was made using a circular saw and a straight edge guide.
All pieces were cut then clamped to the jig except the top face I then glued and pin nailed the parts together. When it was dry I pulled it out of the jig and added reinforcing blocks at all the joint locations. I then cut the top pieces and glued and nailed it on and clamped to dry. I then finished it with Watco cherry colored Danish Oil over the top of some trans tint dye to get the coloring effect that I wanted.
I preceded to do the tedious and meticulous trim work. The trim is actually Poplar that I planed from 1/4” to 1/8” and cut into strips after staining them a Dark Walnut color. I then hand cut and fitted a ton of pieces starting on the sides and finishing with the top. I used a mini Miter box with a flush cut saw to do this. (By the way not having any right angles this will drive you nuts. I suggest lots of beer and good old Rock and Roll) Once I got a few pieces cut I would glue and Pin nail them as I went along.
When everything was dry I stood it up on end and used a HVLP spray to put about 9 coats of semi gloss Lacquer on it. (Lacquer dries faster and I have little patience , but poly would be more durable) I wet sanded the case and put a light coat of clear wax.
This next part required the help of my buddy Jimmy. We built a tall fence extension in order to clamp the case to which would allow the case and fence to slide along the table saw fence like a vertical sled, thus preventing kickback and booboo’s to the wood. I used a thin Kerf 3/32” Freud Blade to cut this apart. (Freud you can send me a couple blades for the plug. LOL) As we cut a side we then inserted 1?8” shims to prevent pinching of the blade and taped them to prevent movement.
Once it was apart I was able to finish the interior and clear coat it. I also added some more luan strips to the sides for structural support of the handle hinges and locks. Next I cut the Kaiser foam to fit. (DO not glue in yet, it is easier to fit before the hinges are installed.)
I then put the lid back on the case and lined it up and clamped it to prevent moving. At this point I installed all the hardware. (the hinges have a 90 degree stop so there was no need for a lid stay.) I unclamped everything and checked the fit. Next I glued in the lid piece of foam and the bottom piece in the case. I left the thicker piece in the bottom case loose so it can be removed and another piece cut for a different configuration.
Total cost of project just under $300.00 and LOTS AND LOTS of cold beer.
I cant wait to see the looks on peoples faces when I take it to the range.
-- Failure is always an option. :-)