|Project by Todd Swartwood||posted 09-07-2013 06:15 PM||8217 views||52 times favorited||20 comments|
A few years ago I decided the idea in my head had rattled around long enough, and I needed to build a good glue up station. I started with a square steel frame that a dual drum sander had been shipped to me on. I added a set of 4” casters to make it very moveable. I then made a frame out of 3 X 5 pine stock. I added 1/2” plywood on both sides of the top rail that extended about 2” below the top 3 X 5 stock and 1” above the bottom rail. The 2 center uprights
could then be lifted up between the plywood on top rail, and drop down between the plywood on bottom rail. The 2 center rails could then be slid sideways to any position that worked well for the size of parts being glued up. The next step was to drill the holes in the uprights, I then drilled three sets of holes being spaced every couple inches. 1 hole about a 64th larger than the diameter of the pipe, on a 3/4” clamp, for a 1/2” clamp, and 3rd for the size of i/2” metal conduit.
As you can see in the 1st picture I would place clamps protruding from the uprights at a low level on the station, and clamp up as necessary. I would then go to the other side of the A frame and use the next set of holes above the ones I just used on the opposite side to complete the next glue up. Continuing to move from side to side and up 1 level of holes until it was at an uncomfortable height to continue. I then would start pulling the parts from the lowest
spot and move them up to rest on metal conduit that acted as shelf supports at the top as in the 4th and 5th pictures. Then start gluing up in the open spot just emptied, using longer clamps so working under other clamped work was not necessary.
When not in the middle of glue ups the station works well for sorting lumber, or as a drying rack when finishing projects.
-- Todd Swartwood (Todd Swart-Woodworks)