|Project by BusterB||posted 09-07-2013 05:43 PM||1438 views||0 times favorited||20 comments|
A buddy of mine who runs a bandsaw mill gave me some crosscut sections for use at my daughters wedding back in June. I had misidentified them as oak but found out they were poplar when I went to cleaning them up. What to do with a big ole hunk of poplar??? Especially one that is mostly endgrain… Well the idea was to make a big, thick cutting board to replace the one in the kitchen. Well I had read that planing endgrain was a bad idea but decided to give it a go….burned the drive belt right off my planer…lol My friend David (aka Bluekingfisher) suggested that I cut it in strips then work with the facegrain side. Worked out much better that way. When I laid it out I decided it needed some contrast to all that light wood so cut some black walnut strips to add to it. Glued up with Titebond III which is supposed to be waterproof. Sanded to 220 and finshed with Howards Butcher Block and Cutting Board Oil. The board is 17” x 10” x 1 1/8th” thick. Guess I can mark that one off my amature woodworker manditory project list…lol
Note: I added a picture to show what this board was built for. It covers the side of the sink where the garbage disposal is located. The old board in there was in pretty sad shape and is fixing to get a make over.
-- Buster, Ocoee TN (Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place then come down and shoot the survivors - Hemingway)