|Project by Peter_R||posted 09-06-2013 03:18 AM||865 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
It took me a weekend to strip and restain my front door. I also changed the lock from an old cartridge lockset to the normal lock set. It was a really neat project because at first I thought that I would have to buy a new door. The locks were broken, wood all faded and some of the stain glass pieces were cracked. I fixed everything for about $420 ($270 for hiring someone to repair the 2 panels of beveled stainglass. $100 for a new lock set). This door came with the house and is about 50 years old(?) made from mahogany wood. Buying a new door would have cost about $2500 and they are now made from mahogany veneer glued over pine wood. To convert the lockset, I cut a hardwood scrap to fill in the hole left by the lockset, then re-drill the new holes. Then I bought a brass door push plate from Homedepot to cover up the smaller holes, that did not align with the new lockset.
Citristrip – I used this to remove the old paint and varnish. Works good and has a nice scent.
Husky 14 in 1 scaper – This is real handy for getting into the small gaps and corners
Stainless steel wire brush – for removing old paint in the wood grain
Minwax Natural stain – applied with a clean rag, this really helps make the wood grain pop
Minwax Polycrylic Spray – easy to apply vs brush on with nice even coating