|Project by verw0003||posted 09-05-2013 06:21 PM||2681 views||2 times favorited||11 comments|
I wanted a blanket chest to match the walnut bed I made earlier this year. I wanted to add some color and contrast to the project so I went with spalted maple from a local farmer. Design is my own. It is frame and panel construction for the body. Panels float in between stiles and rails. Biscuits were used to hold the frame together. Top piece is solid as I used biscuits to get a nearly flat surface. There are curves to the bottom rail and top sides to break up the lines and to complement the bed. I used a raised panel bit to add a lip to the lid. Aromatic cedar lines the bottom of the chest. Chest is 36” wide, 22” tall, and 20” deep.
I used 1 coat of Seal-A-Cell followed by 3 coats of Arm-R-Seal. Really helped make the maple pop. Sanded to 220 grit between each coat.
I used 3 brass hinges and then added lid supports to prevent any slamming of the lid. The lid support hinges work great and were easy to install. They hold the lid open at any angle from about 25-80 degrees.
The entire project took 3 weeks of elapsed time and probably about 25 hours of actual work. I got a lot of use out of my router table and learned some new tricks and techniques. The next time I make a chest I would probably make it a little smaller and use more complex joinery.