|Project by GeneR||posted 09-04-2013 04:43 PM||1549 views||6 times favorited||14 comments|
This bowl was turned from a piece of Black walnut and inlayed with a piece of inlay banding that I purchased through woodcraft or Rockler. I do not have a decent picture of the bowl inside but the middle is slightly cone shaped to allow candy or peanuts to roll to the edge of the bowl to allow easier grabbing.
I am lucky to have friend that is an arborist who gave me several large logs of black walnut for various projects. This particular piece was rough turned then sat drying in a box of its own shavings for about a year.
The idea for the inlay came simply by accident, I turned the bowl and was thinking something was missing or that it needed more. I just happened to look up and see the edge banding I had bought for a jewelry box and the light bulb went off. (granted a very dim bulb) This bowl has an exterior dimension of about 8” and 3” tall which allowed the banding to easily bend around the bowl without breaking.
I used a flat nose scraper to create the grove for the inlay and what you can’t see is that there are several small grooves under the inlay to allow for the glue to expand through and adhere to. To line up and cut the banding to the right length I fit it into the groove about midway through the part I was going to use, then I taped it on using blue painters tape. Once this was done I slowly rotated the bowl (Still chucked on the lathe) Warning!!!! pay attention to the banding so it does not get caught and break while rotating, (This has been an experience Warning) once it is rotated tape the ends about 2” from where you want your cut then I used a small sharp chisel to cut one end then I taped it about 1/4: from the clean cut to allow it to stay flat on the bowl. Then I repeated the process for the other end to allow for a perfect tight fit.
I then removed the inlay banding and spread a thin coat of a light colored wood glue on the back of the banding and allowed it to get tacky. Next I applied titebond Dark wood glue to the groove in the bowl with a small brush (a regular metal glue brush will work but use the T Mac tip of cutting the bristles shorter for better control)Then insert the banding and once again start in the middle and tape it then work your way around each side taping it down as you go once it was all taped I let it sit for 24 hours to dry.
When the tape was removed I lightly sanded it various grits to 600. (NOTE: if your grove is a little deeper then the banding is thick this is the time to use a sharp scraper and take very small cuts to remove the excess wood, then resand. I then started the finishing process with about 3 coats of watco natural Danish oil. I then proceeded to apply CA glue over the top of the banding to fill in and nicks, chips or porous bits as added protection. then sanded the whole piece to 12,000 grit and finished with about 9 or 10 thin coats of spray lacquer sanding the final coat with 4k, 6k, 8k, then12k grit sanding sheets.
This was my first attempt at doing an inlay on a bowl and I am curious to see what everyone has to say. By the way I have only been turning about 1 1/2 years so I know there is still plenty to learn. So be gentle I am fragile. lol
-- Failure is always an option. :-)