|Project by JayG46||posted 09-04-2013 01:25 AM||1006 views||0 times favorited||4 comments|
The handle for this mallet (made out of partridgewood) was originally intended to be French style rolling pin but it winded up being comically small in diameter by the time I got it fully round. As a result, it spent a considerable amount of time in the School of Wayward Turnings, a.k.a the Rubbermaid bin where I toss all the things I screw up on the lathe (which is most of them).
I see a lot of mallets on this site and as I was rummaging around in there today, I had the idea of repurposing it as a handle. After cutting off one of the narrow sides, back on the lathe it went, and after removing some material and adding a few details, it was ready for a head. There was a pretty decent-sized 3×3 post of ipe in the shop and I cut off a segment about six inches long with a 10 degree angle on either side. I drilled a hole with a 3/4” forstner bit and turned the handle relatively close before doing some fine tuning with a card scraper and sandpaper.
The handle is finished with CA Glue, the head with cutting board oil/wax and the two parts are attached with epoxy. I didn’t add any weight to it as both pieces of wood are pretty heavy in their own right and I probably won’t be banging this thing around very often, if at all.
Thanks for checking it out, and feel free it let me know how hard I can hit something with it before the handle snaps due to my faulty construction!
-- Jay Gargiulo, Naples, FL www.swallowtailwoodcraft.com "Once you understand the way broadly, you can see it in all things."- Miyamoto Musashi