|Project by lumberjoe||posted 09-03-2013 02:32 AM||3201 views||2 times favorited||16 comments|
I’ve never made a serving tray before so I figured I’d give it a shot. I had this really wild piece of red oak. I’ve never seen anything like it before. It is curly beyond belief and has almost 3D waves. I can’t help but touch it to confirm it is actually flat.
I also had some ugly looking off cuts of figured maple. Big knots running all the way through. I made some selective cuts, filled the imperfections with many coats of thick CA, then slapped it all together with walnut splines. I think it came out great. The maple changes color depending on how you look at it.
The finish is french polish which was a first for me. Many thanks again to Shipwright. I think Paul has given me more tips and inspiration to try new things than anyone else has. Marquetry is next :)
The maple wasn’t bad but I’m not sure I would french polish red oak ever again. I tried traditional pore filling with shellac and pumice, but ended up sanding it down and giving in. I got some Tasmanian Oak colored timbermate and I’m glad I did, The color goes well with the finished Maple.
I used superblonde shellac and it went though about a dozen padding sessions before I was happy. I went a little heavy on the padding oil so I did need to spirit after. Overall it was a long, but rewarding process. I did have to start over a few times while perfecting my technique, but shellac is easy to remove. It’s tough to capture in pictures, but in natural light that piece of oak is like a mirror:
I’ve got some “defective” cherry on the bench right now that will get a similar treatment