|Project by Ribeye||posted 09-03-2013 12:56 AM||1291 views||3 times favorited||3 comments|
I just completed a coffee table to match the end table I made last year. With the new, sectional sofa, my drink was always just a little too far away. The top is made from two lengths of 11-1/2” wide walnut with 5” wide breadboard ends. The walnut has some fun figure that doesen’t show up too well in the pictures. The pegs are black locust from a tree that fell in my back yard last year. The undercarriage is made from some ugly hard maple I had laying around, and is joined with mortice and tenon joinery. The legs are about 3-1/4” square to give a stout look. I used several coats of satin poly on the top, since this table will get abused daily, and flat black paint on the undercarriage. I chose the walnut since the dark color goes through the wood, rather than just being applied to top. As the table gets beat up and scratched, it should still look nice.
The end table has a slightly different top, with chamfers on each board to hide the gaps from seasonal expansion. The tongues of each board are actually glued to the breadboards in the center. I like this look more, but didn’t want to do this on the coffee table because the grooves will hold dirt. The undercarriage and drawer are poplar. The aprons are mortice and tenon constuction, except the front one under the drawer, which is dovetailed into the front legs, just for fun. The drawer has hand cut through dovetails, and an applied front. I put in a “secret” compartment by sectioning off the back 3” of the drawer.