|Project by Ribeye||posted 09-02-2013 09:00 AM||1304 views||5 times favorited||11 comments|
I had seen this chest on a magazine cover a while ago, and thought it would be a great present for my daughters. This project, with the coopered lid, finger joints, and bent bands, promised to introduce me to some new techniques. In the spirit of Norm, I decided to make a prototype chest out of “paahpla” before breaking into my stash of walnut. The dimensions are: 21” long x 12 inches deep x 14” tall
The main body of the chest is made from a single wide board, with finger joints made on the table saw using a stop block and a shim the exact width of my rip blade. The method actually worked very well, making very tight joints. I laid out the fingers in a symetrical pattern, so I was able to make four cuts on each board with each setup. The fingers on the lid were cut by hand, since I couldn’t figure out how to do it on the table saw. The rounded top of the lid was actually fairly easy, and gave me an excuse to use my handplane.
The strips are made of cherry and were bent on a hot pipe using the method shown in the magazine article. That turned out to be harder than anticipated. I blew out and burned several pieces before I got it right. Next time I will probably steam the strips and use the lid as a drying form. I used copper nails to attach the strips, and managed to find matching hinges and handles. The finish is Danish oil.
I’ve already got two more chests in progress for the girls. They will be slightly smaller, since my walnut boards are not quite as wide as the poplar, but I still expect they will love having a “treasure chest”