|Project by Dallas||posted 09-01-2013 04:30 PM||2655 views||0 times favorited||7 comments|
I posted in the Forums awhile back about a quick router lathe I had put together to round out some black walnut and other wood.
A few years ago I promised the wife portion of this team a cane, just her size, (She Altitudinally Challenged)!
she wanted one, somewhat like mine which is just an old hickory stick with the brass duck’s head from a fireplace tool set and a 1” black rubber foot.
I looked at a lot of different branches, sticks and even solid wood, but nothing really struck me as right for her.
A few weeks ago I got a care package from Shelly_b containing enough black walnut 5/4 and thicker, rough, along with some sycamore.
I decided to make a standard gentlewoman’s cane using a picture I found from New Orleans and another one SanFransico circa 1860’s – 1880’s.
This helped because lately we have been watching some old episodes of Bat Masterson with Gene Barry in the afternoon.
I didn’t have a nice diamond studded knob or even a solid gold cane knob. My junk box contained a couple of old Hames knobs from a draft horse harness.
The one I chose was really UGG-A-Lee! But the the other alternative was even worse.
I ran the walnut through my little router lathe that I slapped together with clamps.
The first piece didn’t work out so well and I found that 5/4 was a bit small to make a finished product of what I needed.
I tried again, and used a bit larger piece, but it still had a flat spot on one side.
This worked out because the wife saw it and opined that it would make a great cane if only it were the right length.
Wow! I’m a hero I thunked! I took that piece out of the table legs I was making, (Pure Propaganda, I didn’t want her to know what I was making), and used sand paper from 150g to 220g to sooth off the rough spots after I used a couple of my block planes to remove the rough edges from the junk router bit I was using.
I thought the wood looked a bit light so I tried out some new dyes I bought on eBay, These are JE Moser powdered dyes for water.
I used W1310 Dk. Chippendale Mahogany as a base, let it dry and put a coat of sanding sealer on. Sanded that off pretty aggressively and put on a layer of W1410 Bright Red Cherry. Let that dry, added another coat of sanding sealer, let it dry and sanded that down lightly with 220g-800g wet fry from HF…. Hey the stuff works pretty good if you keep it dry and use it lightly!
Final finish is Formby’s Tung oil finish, (I always wondered what they did with all those people from Finland that couldn’t talk after they sold their tungs!), I used 5 coats, sanded in between and rubbed it down on the final coat with 4 ought steel wool and then a piece of light weight brown paper sack.
The flat spot on the stick still bothers me but SWMBO said that it makes it much easier to lean against the table.
The hame ball I chucked up in the drill press and sanded out with 220g-2000g wet dry from HF… again keeping it dry.
The ferrell is a piece of 3/4” decorative brass pipe I found laying in a cart outside Lowe’s. It had been paid for I’m sure, so I tossed it in the car when we came back out of the store an hour later….. Funny how no one picked up the 300 or so carts in that time.
I cut it off at 1 1/4” and recessed the wood just a bit so it would hide the rough edges of the ball a bit more.
Enjoy! Thanks for looking! sorry I took so long to get this description into words!
-- Improvise.... Adapt...... Overcome!