|Project by JeremyPringle||posted 08-31-2013 02:38 AM||1383 views||0 times favorited||7 comments|
Yesterday I finished 9 coffee grinder boxes. I make the boxes for a friend, I make the boxes, he buys and installs the hardware and then he sells them at shows. Initially I was making 10. But I have this habit of wreaking one of them in the process, and I usually deliver them to him in batches of 9. THIS time though…. I made myself templates to help me next time. Smart thinking? I SHOULD have done that 6 months and 50 grinder boxes ago.
With them out of the way I was able to finish something that has been bugging me, and that needed to get done, but there was always something getting in the way. Well… once I finally had time tonight, I was done in just over 30 min. 30 min? Yup, had I just gotten the will to do so, I could have finished this two weeks ago. I have no idea why I did not.
So, here is the end result. It is a walnut shadow box. The knife is mounted on a back board with the company logo inlayed in it. Thanks again Paul. It looks awesome. If it looks familiar… its because it is the same backboard that my wife’s evil cats tried to destroy on me. I think they hate me.
The finish on the box is 2 really thin coats of amber shellac to get the orange glow, then wax. The background is several coats of clear shellac.
I mounted it on my shop wall to take the pictures. I really like it. It was actually made for the same local shop that I made the display case for. I cant wait to get it hung up on the shop wall so I can take a few pictures of it in its new home.
But… with that out of the way I can get back to my string inlay box.... which I have made a decision for the top and have actually done quite a bit of double bevel marquetry for it. Once I get a few more steps further and more pictures I will post more on it.
Thanks for reading