|Project by jumbojack||posted 08-29-2013 10:29 PM||1659 views||9 times favorited||16 comments|
I really enjoyed building this little project! Several LJs have posted builds also. It is the brain child of Sandor Nagyszalanczy and show cased in the April 2011 Issue of Woodworkers Journal.
This one features Ambrosia Maple sides and tambor, Birdseye shelves and a Curly Cherry drawer front. I put a tenon on the pull and a mortise on the draw front just to give the handle a little verve.
Building the first one is pretty involved as you must first produce the templates and gluing jig. If you take care in producing these the rest of the build is a snap.
There are a few pitfalls in the build. Number one is gluing in the shelf and bottom. I used blind dowels as just a butt joint to hold the entire thing together did not seem strong enough. I just carefully laid them out and it seems to be rigid and does not rack. The second thing is I glued in a strip of the tambor material on the bottom front cross member. The tambor is screwed to the back/bottom of the drawer and caused the drawer to tilt forward. This causes the draw to bind a bit. The strip evens this out. The trick is to get the drawer/tambor to effortlessly operate.
I have been playing around with Suede-Tex Flocking. So I flocked the inside of the drawer. I only have one color, black. It is simple to apply and looks great. Time will tell how it hold up to use
<iframe src=”//www.youtube.com/embed/J9b2dBVbmvo” frameborder=”0” height=”315” width=”560”></iframe>
-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith