|Project by shipwright||posted 08-28-2013 04:37 PM||2272 views||16 times favorited||19 comments|
I made my first set of these about fifteen years ago at our last house. They were a big hit and everyone seemed to like them so when we moved to our present home eight years ago they had to be replicated. The wiring is underground and the cedar posts were placed in holes and had exposed aggregate concrete poured in around them.
Well, after eight years we started noticing that they were not as solid as they should be and upon investigation I discovered that the bottom ends were rotting. Since they are easy to make I just made new ones only this time I soaked the ends for several hours in cuprinol. Between the four of them, they soaked up about a liter.
Replacement was easy because the holes left in the concrete were of course a perfect fit and the wiring was all the right length and already in place.
They are just terra cotta flower pots that my wife painted, held in place by a lag screw through the bottom of the junction box and the drain holes in the pots. The bulbs are standard 15W. They are motion activated from both ends and daylight sensing.
If the bare ones made eight years, these ones should be good for twice that.
Thanks for looking
-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fibreglass trees. http://thecanadianschooloffrenchmarquetry.com/