|Project by ben||posted 07-25-2008 09:02 PM||4579 views||12 times favorited||12 comments|
The wood is all scrap: striped maple for the head, cherry for the handle and walnut wedges. I did use 5oz of lead shot on each side for weight, left loose (instead of epoxying in place).
I may still futz with the handle – I did only minimal trimming of wood, since I can remove more later as I figure out what works.
EDIT: If you try to make this from the plans, one bit of advice. For my “first mallet” I followed the plans rather closely, but they didn’t give a length for the handle. I just scaled it from the pics, and went with it. I don’t yet know whether I would have kept them, but if you do the same, keep some extra length in the handle—an inch or two. You can always take it off, but you can’t put it back.