|Project by ckorkyrun89||posted 08-28-2013 02:37 AM||806 views||1 time favorited||2 comments|
I have been doing some more turning recently.
The first bowl is ambrosia maple. I had to get some help from some fellow lumberjocks because I had so much trouble with the punky wood. I ended up using an angle grinder with a sanding disk to turn the outside down. The inside went much smoother. It was really interesting finding the worm holes and 4 or 5 of them go from the inside through to the outside of the bowl. I finished it with lacquer. It is about 4 inches tall and 6 inches in diameter.
The second bowl is some unknown wood. It came from the bargin bin at Woodcraft. I wanted to try doing some beading. I think it turned out really well. I tried to make them as even as possible. It is also finished with lacquer. It is about 2 inches tall and 4 or 5 inches in diameter.
I also tried my first “wine glass.” It really gave me some respect for the people who can make the huge hollow forms. This was difficult enough with the chatter I was having. It is about 7 inches tall and about 2 inches in diameter. I finished it with walnut oil. I turned the inside first and it is about as deep as I can sand at about 2.5 to 3 inches deep. I am not sure how someone would go about sanding a hollow form. The stem was turned last and went surprisingly well. I used some scrap pallet wood. I am mostly sure that it is a hardwood but I don’t know beyond that.
Thanks for looking.