|Project by robscastle||posted 08-27-2013 06:12 AM||1012 views||0 times favorited||7 comments|
My wife Aurora asked me if I could make her a box for her lunch gear so it wouldn’t tip over in the car.
I had all the materials available so set to work.
I made the carcass from ply and glued and butt jointed it together.
As it was for her I thought I would “flash it up” a bit and decided to add round trim.
The trim I had from my rainy day dowel making activity, but it did not have a suitable rebate.
So I set about rebating the dowels.
(see my blog on the process if you are interested in doing something similar)
Fitted everything together and I had intended to leave the ply panels natural and add black dye to the trim.
I masked everything up with painters tape and with a pad/wad dyed all the trim, it was starting to look really good!
However when I removed the tape dye, to my horror had weeped under the tape and ruined all my good work.
I almost wept as well when I saw it.
So very disappointed I decided to add Sapelle paper veneer the panels to hide the mess.
But after rolling out the paper veneer I then realised I would need two runs to do each panel.
Rats!!... too much work I thought, and after consultation with the customer I decided to dye the complete outside.
After drying a coat of Polyurethane was applied to finish it off.
Have a look at picture No six the bleeding is evident on the inside below the trim, the outside was even worse.
Conclusion: The customer was happy with the result so all worked in the end!
-- Regards Robert