|Project by Andy||posted 08-26-2013 11:06 PM||2520 views||8 times favorited||22 comments|
They wanted to replace the dividers with a six compartment set, mixed up however I saw fit, so they could display herbs in their store.
They asked that they be made from spalted maple.
This was tedious because the lid cannot be removed, and it swings into the opening making it cramped.
Also, there was a hole in the bottom where I placed a screw to anchor it to the bench, something I do when I am shaping the body and lid.
So I kicked around several ideas on how to cover the hole without trying to perfectly fit in a new bottom, and how to get my fat fingers inside to fit all the dividers. I also was on a time constraint to ship it back to the gallery to be there when the owners were to be in that area again.
How I did it:
I made a hexagon shaft as you see in the last picture, It is perfectly centered and just barely covers the off center old screw hole, no new bottom needed. Its held in place with a screw up through the bottom.
Then slowly, one at a time, fitted the slats and used CA to glue them in place.
I then made a cap ( knob ) out of Ziricote using my homemade lathe as seen here in the comment section on my Boa Box.
-- If I can do it, so can you. www.artboxesbyandy.com