|Project by SirFatty||posted 08-25-2013 08:13 PM||1355 views||3 times favorited||8 comments|
Inspiration can come from almost anywhere. For example, my wife and I were watching Market Warriors, there was an episode about miniature furniture were a small dresser was shown. She really liked the miniature dresser, so I decided to build one for her. Mine will be made of some really old reclaimed birch, I used some of that wood for the bookcase project. The wood was formerly a table, the piece for this project was one of the drop leafs. There are some screw holes, but obviously they do not extend through the piece. The table was in my family since I was a kid, but it did not age too well. But instead of tossing it to the landfill, I salvaged all the wood that was usable.
I began the project in the garage, usually I like to design the piece using Visio, but in this instance I started work with some rough sketches. It just takes more careful planning. In this case it worked out well so far…
To get started, I took the drop leaf and cut the two pieces needed for sides, top and bottom, ripped 7” wide. The remaining 5.5” board will be used for the interior drawer shelves.
I’ve previously used the belt sander to remove the finish on the table parts, and it is not a fun process. The belts get gummed up with the finish, which then has to be cleaned out. The overall process is slow and tedious. Since I want these boards to be 5/8” thickness, I elected to use the thickness planer this time. Probably not the best for the knives, but it worked really well.
Once all the boards were cut and dado’ed, it was time for assembly. Just glue, no mechanical fasteners used.
The glue dried overnight, took the clamps off to inspect the work. Looks good, a couple mistakes to sand out, but otherwise I’m happy with the progress so far. I’ve decided to use some walnut that I’ve been holding on to for at least 15 years, it’s rough-sawn and something I got on trade.
I made a quick jig to allow for straight rips on this rough wood.
A few trips through the planer, and it’s time for a dry-fit!
The drawers were next, I just used some left-over birch plywood I had in the shop. Just glue and clamps. And some thin strips of the birch for edge banding.
I decided to use shellac for this project, it’s something I’ve only used once before, but I really like how it looks. But it certainly requires practice to get good results.
I bought some off-the-shelf hardware from Menards, and it looks pretty great. Blue tape was used to make the positioning of the hardware easier, pencil marks are easier to see on the tape.
And that’s the completed project, thanks for looking!
btw, the entire project is located here: dave.spalla.com
-- Visit my blog at dave.spalla.com