|Project by Yewtube||posted 08-21-2013 10:22 AM||1783 views||3 times favorited||14 comments|
This is essentially a sink stand designed to have a porcelain sink atop. The cupboard beneath is to store all the bathroom bits and also hides the soil and waste plumbing from the plug to the outlet in the wall behind the cabinet.
It’s a mortise and tenon’d frame. The side panels are housed into the frame sides with routed channels. The whole thing is solid AWO with the exception of the 1/4” side panels which are veneer’d MDF or ply I forget which.
The doors are all solid with the central raised and fielded panel having been edge jointed out of two boards and then re-saw’d to thickness on the bandsaw. The doors were fabricated using a bit matching set on a router table and were really the most intensive part of the project.
All the timber was bought in the rough and milled to dimension in my shop. The pictures you see are unfinished because the client (my brother) wasn’t sure what would work is his bathroom hence when it was in situ, he made the call. Which was an orange oil….I dearly wish I had snaps of the final piece in situ because the orange oil is the best finish for oak I’ve ever discovered. It has a nutty “old brown” quality to it that is just sublime. It smells nice too :-)
The floor is flush with the cabinet rails (or is it styles I always forget which is which) and underneath the floor supports had to be constructed to allow the waste pipe to go down centrally before it vents through the bathroom wall (hidden from view). So the “joists” for the floor were constructed with mini mortise and tenon joinery using a Festool domino and then pocket hole screwed to the rails lowered by exactly the thickness of the floor so the floor would lie flush once installed.
The hinges are mortised at double depth into the doors so I didn’t have to worry about mortising the cabinet itself and yet they sit perfectly flush. I really like this little “cheat” because it enabled me to rout the mortises with a shop built simple template that would have been a lot more cumbersome to access on the cabinet itself. Doing it this way meant I could mount the doors on my bench and just rout two (double depth) mortises and then chop the corners square by hand.
What I’ll do is ask my brother to take some snaps of the finished in situ item and mail them so I can draw the pictorial curtain on this project since even I don’t yet have any final pics myself.
I also made some matching, floor to ceiling narrow airing cupboard doors for the same room. But that’s another project….that’s right….a cliff hanger :-)
-- Cheers - Rob