|Project by robscastle||posted 337 days ago||669 views||1 time favorited||4 comments|
I made these trays from recycled materials
Oak a species that I am uncertain of the actual type, apart from knowing its not Silky Oak, and some rare pallet wood. (See note below)
Edited Note: The timber in the perimeter frame showing a yellow tinged areas may be Rubberwood it is still under investigation TBC.
Not forgetting heaps of wood filler on the dodgy joints on the Huon tray
Cutting 20 deg slope polygons presented me with a frustrating activity, not that it was hard to do but hard to get an effective result on the joints.
Read as I did not understand the mathematics involved in this activity first up.
Apart from cutting ceiling cornices that was the extent of my experience, however after the project I would have no concerns as to making more.
What are they for? Nothing in particular, I just had the materials, so I made them
It took me almost a week to eventually come to the finish you see in the pictures.
I think about 50% of the framing materials ended up as waste as I bumbled through.
A bit bland and ho hum ish but worth posting as if you had been following my preparation blog on these suckers and wanting to see the final results.
The angles were all cut on a drop/Miter Saw.
The Oak inserts were sawn in half jointed then butt joined after attempting to book match the feature.
There are eight section in all completing the base.
The Huon pine was a single piece of timber some 450mm wide originally covered with about seven layers of paint
The non sloping frame is for pictures and was made as the trays were in progress as a means of convincing myself the saw settings I was using were correct.
A nasty trap when sloping the sides away from the standard 90 deg!
I had so much trouble getting the joints right the second Oak tray ended up smaller than its Huon Pine mate.
It was then that I stopped sawing it and resorted to using a set of sacrificial sections to perfect the mitre and joint angles.
I need to acknowledge Mathias Wendell’s work in producing a simple cross reference chart to enable saw setting without the complex calculation activity.
I cannot add the chart mathias produced as its a PDF/ Excel format, however it is available on www.woodgears.ca along with the history of how it came about, makes interesting reading if you are that way inclined.
A PS if you are interested in the process check out my blog on the activity.
-- Regards Robert